I know this is Sheila+Sharon’s Cookies and should be used to talk about our cookie business, but I thought I’d take a break from that and write about something I’ve had on my mind for a while. Some may or may not know that I work for a focus group facility in the Philadelphia area. I’ve been working there part-time off and on for over 3 years. I like my job. I get to meet interesting people and no 2 days are the same. Plus, I have the flexibility to work on the business when I’m not working there. Again, I like my job and the people I work with, but sometimes, the participants drive me crazy!
What is a focus group facility? Well, when a company wants to hold a focus group or discussion, we’re one of the facilities they can hold these at. We provide them with space, a client assistant, and anything else they may need. I am a receptionist/client assistant. I answer the phone, enter data, make copies, set up rooms with food and drinks, anything that needs to be done to make our clients and participants feel comfortable I do. I run around a lot. That’s great for me ’cause I couldn’t do the 9-5 thing. Been there, done that, wasn’t for me. This is about how to be a better respondent, so here goes:
1. Show up 15 minutes early! Why? Because sometimes there’s paperwork that needs to filled out. And food.
2. Bring picture ID. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a driver’s license or state ID, but I do need to something with your name and picture on it.
3. If you need glasses to read/see, bring them.
4. Get directions to our facility beforehand. Please don’t wait until you’re already in the car to figure out you don’t know how to get to our facility. Get your directions a head of time!
5. DO NOT piss off the person at the front desk. One of the fastest ways to be banned is to be rude/beligerent to me or someone else at the front desk. I realize that we all have bad days, but don’t take your bad day out on me. I work just like you do. Don’t make my job any harder.
5. DO NOT bring your children. Unless a study requires you to bring your kids, don’t. I’m not a babysitter or child care provider, and I don’t get paid to watch your kids.
6. DO NOT show up drunk or high. I don’t think I really need to go into that.
7. DO have a good relationship with soap and water. That’s my way of saying come in smelling clean. Again, I don’t think I really need to go into it.
8. DO have fun! You’re gonna be at our faciilty for awhile, so you might as well have fun. Chat with your fellow respondents and make a new friend.
I was trying for a list of 10, but only made it to 8, and that was a stretch. I think my next entry will be about how to get banned from a facility. I mentioned a few things, but there are others. So, stay tuned.